Finding Female Ancestors
As genealogists all of us have stone walls: could be any right time, destination or location. There isn’t any one solution for re re re solving an end that is dead our lineage. Every issue has to differently be approached. Since most documents generally in most areas and cycles are focused around males, we quite often have actually just a name that is first of spouse, or frequently, no title at all. We simply understand she ended up being the spouse of Thomas Jones. To resolve this kind of dilemma we should figure out the right time, location and circumstances in accordance with our feminine ancestor. We ought to lay the groundwork for attacking the situation in a unique means.
Probably the many way that is straightforward strike such a challenge is always to produce a schedule of her life. Collect all information understood about her. Or even much is well known, concentrate on her husband. Where had been they whenever, from wedding and on occasion even delivery, to your right time that they had kids, towards the close of these everyday lives.
1. Search for the wedding record it self. Discover the initial wedding record. The wedding licence or application could be more valuable compared to initial. In surrounding areas, or check various marriage indexes if you can’t find the marriage, seek it.
2. Always check all feasible documents on spouse to obtain clues to greatly help figure out whom she ended up being.
3. If ancestor fought within the military, check retirement papers when it comes to widow. Military retirement Papers valuable, specially if wife outlived spouse. Best for Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Union Civil War, Spanish-American War, Indian Wars, etc.
Ancestry.com has Union Pension Papers. A female needed to show that she ended up being wife that is lawful widow of soldier. Refused Pension Applications frequently contain sigbificantly more details than accepted people.
4. Land records, deeds., homestead documents or any other court documents might provide wife’s name that is first and on occasion even her maiden title. Land Records: One of major sources for determining name that is maiden. They are maybe not useful in big urban centers or if the grouped family rented. If guy passed away with no might, their estate that is real had be split among heirs. Included all young kids, also daughters with married names. See them in grantor-grantee indexes. Court Public Records Test.
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts Court of Sessions of Peace 26 Dec 1710
Rachel Codury of Marblehead seems and confessed herself accountable of ye
criminal activity of fornication with Andrew Tucker Jr. Of Marblehead.
5. Immerse yourself in most the documents associated with area. Learn other families, particularly her husband’s family members, their career, socio-economic status, etc. Did spouse go usually, or originate from a well-established group of the location? Did he cope with individuals of other surnames? He might been employed by along with his wife’s daddy, therefore discover with whom he previously company transactions. whom did he purchase and to/from/with sell land? Don’t simply concentrate on the partners. Broaden your hunt. just exactly What took place to the young ones? Maybe another descendant has information.
6. Trace your family in every feasible census returns. US or Canadian censuses, specially 1841 or 1851 and soon after. Husband’s sis hitched in nj-new jersey, therefore check always N.J. and also you will dsicover his wedding here too. Census: U.S. 1790-1930 will get access to most returns that are census line. 1940 or later on can be had for a cost.
Uk census 1911, 1921 could be searched by communication.
Canada through 1901; FamilySearch 1880 and 1881 census
Old girl coping with family members in census, may be mother-in-law. Look for her DC
7. Always check personal documents: your own personal family members documents and histories, family members Bibles, etc.
8. The wedding may well not anywhere have been recorded that endures, particularly if in N.Y., PA, Southern States, or any frontier. Also a married relationship in brand New England might not endure.
9. When a lady ended up being widowed, she became head associated with home. Whenever she requires help as an individual girl or even a widow, who can she move to work as a surety in a relationship or witness to secure deal? She shall probably go to her brothers or dad in your community. Names on appropriate papers coping with a widow might be her loved ones.
10. Sources to check on to discover her title:
a. Church documents
HENRY IRISH IMMIGRATED FROM BRITISH ISLES TO NYC IN 1819. HE LIVED IN NYC AND QUEENS. 1850 CENSUS STATED EACH HE AND WIFE BORN ENGLAND. LOST AN EYE ON FAMILY IN 1920’S. DISCOVERED A COUSIN INTERESTED. DISCOVER WHAT SHE KNOWS TOWARDS IRISHES. SHE HAD A SIZABLE PULPIT BIBLE WHICH REPORTED:
HENRY & ANN IRISH MARRIED 1 JAN 1807 KINGSTON, PORTSEA, ENGLAND. HENRY WAS SON OF JOSEPH AND SARAH (LANGE) IRISH. HENRY CAME TO BE 15 NOV 1787 AT HAVANT, HAMPSHIRE. ANN IRISH WAS DAUGHTER OF JOHN AND MARY (REED) HILL, BORN PORTSMOUTH, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND.
GENEALOGICAL EPIPHANY. ! It struggled to obtain David Dearborn, it may meet your needs. Seek family members and bibles on online, etc.
c. Newspaper notices of wedding, delivery, death, going, etc.
Montrose Democrat, PA. 9 Apr 1873
Hitched at Franklin township, Susquehanna, PA 28 Mar 1873, Henry Dearborn to skip Cordelia Annis, child of Mr. Robert Seamans (just source of wedding for the right time frame). 24. Private Documents
d. Private journals, diaries, letters in family’s possession, etc. Families have actually records, MS or printed. Samplers – needlepoint and cross-stitch, Asia ink or watercolor. Includes Family Group, parents and children’s names, delivery times, view of family members farm.
Banton Family (masonic rock symbols)
Samuel Banton (passed away, age) md. Rebecca Gilham (passed away and age)
ag e. Gravestones or cemetery records. Took 30 years to even find the parents after discovered the death rock. Found descendants a few generations later on to get required information.
Esther spouse of William Barth passed away Feb 28, 1832 age 78 years
child of Thomas and Tabitha Barlow of England
Had currently traced William Barlow to Esther Bantin. Rock stated, “Esther Barlow had three or four young ones.”
f. Death certification of a female needs to have her maiden title on it, in addition to her moms and dads’ names and birthplaces. Her husband’s death certificates must have her maiden name. Her children’s death certificates additionally might have her maiden name. Her children’s marriage documents additionally might have it. Civil or records that are vital for instance, California Death Index: Pembrook Banton passed away 1940 in California. Marital Reputation: Divorced. Searched divorces and found them. Divorce papers suggested:
Hitched in Dubuque, Iowa 14 Mar 1887
We never ever knew they ever lived in Iowa. Their siblings additionally had been present in Iowa.
g. Obituaries of spouse, spouse or loved ones.
Brand Brand New Hampshire Morning Celebrity, Dover, N.H.
Died in Jackson, N.H. 16 Dec 1850 Mrs. Martha, wife of Moses Anderson and daughter that is youngest of Mr. George and Mrs. Catherine Johnson, aged 17 years 8 months. She left a kid child. (Death certificate will not provide any one of this information. Obit much more valuable)
h. Divorce records: often give wife’s maiden name, or tell where so when hitched. May inform where from
i. Probate record of her daddy or her brothers. You may have to read all wills within the county to find out her title. Probates could be published, indexed and abstracted . Brand brand New Hampshire has all wills abstracted and published having an every title index. NH State Papers, vol. 31-39.
11. Prepared or published Indexes:
- IGI or FamilySearch.com
- FHL surname catalogue
- NEHGS or any other major libraries, neighborhood towns, universities, etc.
- There are lots of CDs with marriages for a state or province
- United states Genealogical & Biographical Index (AGBI) has a huge selection of volumes. Indexes all names in 1790 census, includes all soldiers whom fought in Revolutionary War. Indexes countess county records, esp. Brand Brand Brand New England. It really is at NEHGS.
- Every-name index to NEHGR – available on CD or posted. asiandates.org safe This published that is quarterly since 1847. It really is a treasure trove of data.
- PERSI – index of journal articles from 19thC to the current. Can look for all entries of the surnames, yet not indiv >County histories, specially Midwest – OH, IN, MI, IL, PA, NY areas. Called Midwest “mug books” by Vanity Press Publications. Information ended up being self-serving, flattered individuals to place your bio that is own and of self, family members or farm. Not necessarily accurate.
NEHGS has CD along with information in their number of bibles.
13. Other Sources to locate maiden title:
- Transcribed or posted monograph or article in log on your own surname.
- The thing that was faith? Today Don’t assume same as you are. RC, Protestant, Jewish, which branch?
- Variance in documents: Church record calls her Harriet Irish; civil enrollment calls her Sarah Irish.
There are lots of sources, documents and methodologies for getting a name that is maiden.
*Your ancestor failed to appear away from nowhere. Had a full life and lived somewhere ahead of wedding.
*When ancestor married her family members didn’t disappear completely – they probably reside in the area that is same.
*Learn in regards to the area: history, topography, faith,
*There is not any guarantee we are going to find name that is maiden. We look and appear, look for recommendations and sources and methods to approach a challenge.
*Look in the family that is whole all kids, siblings, of spouse. The partners might have hitched siblings of just one another. Seek living descendants, bibles, death certification of family relations, to fix a name problem that is maiden.
Allen, Donna Murray, “12 techniques to Find an Ancestor’s Maiden Name, Family Chronicle, 7:1 (Sept/Oct 2002);62
Carmack, Sharon DeBartolo, A Genealogist’s help guide to Discovering Your feminine Ancestors (Cincinnati: Betterway Books, 1998).
Deerborn, David C., “Methods to determine a Wife’s Maiden Name,” The Essex Genealogist, 12 (1992):3-15
Dollarhide, William, “Identifying Female Ancestors: Some Case Records,” Heritage Quest, 17:3 (May/June 2001):8-17.
Hogan, Roseann R.. “Female Ancestry,” Ancestry, 12:2 (March/April 1994): 26-28.
NEHGS Lectures on Tape
- Types of Finding a Wife’s Ma >Schaefer, Christina Kassabian, The concealed 50 % of the family members: A sourcebook for women’s genealogy (Baltimore:Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999)